May 27, 2021Remote community
Mass collaboration online
In a time of digital mass collaboration, is it time to rethink how democratic processes are organized?
What organizational structures are needed for the internet generation? Pia Mancini is the founder of Open Collective and the Democracy Earth Foundation. The organizations are driven by a deep belief that we are “21st-century citizens doing our very best to interact with 19th-century designed institutions built with information technology of the 15th-century.” We explored how modern technology can, and should, influence our democratic processes, the concept of the Nation-State and personal identity, along with the lessons to learn from the rise of Social Media.
With Pia, we discussed:
- How political systems are inherently flawed in adapting to modern society
- The biggest technological shift in modern history and its effect on society
- The original purpose of Nation States, how they became an outdated concept and how they can be changed
- The importance of Universal Basic Income and how it can be facilitated
- Lessons from working on Democracy Earth and Open Collective.
Find the full transcript here.
Stay tuned for the next episode!
What should we talk about next? We love hearing feedback and suggestions about our previous and future episodes, so send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any thoughts, ideas or guests we should invite on the podcast.
About your hosts
Co-founder & CEO
Sondre co-founded SafetyWing together with Sarah Sandnes and Hans Kjellby. Born in Bergen, Norway, he studied economics and computer science, before starting work as a policy advisor for the government of Norway advising on social policies. After getting frustrated with the slow pace of government change, Sondre first founded SuperSide (YC W16), a platform for freelance designers. It was here he discovered the lack of a safety net for online remote workers. SafetyWing was then born with the aim of building a global social safety net.
Along with being a Democracy activist, Pia is a co-founder & CEO at Open Collective and Chair of DemocracyEarth Foundation, a YCombinator backed collaborative decision-making platform. After working in politics in Argentina, her current efforts are in creating a proposal for the democracy we want for the 21st century and organizing the internet generation.
Thank you for subscribing!
Subscribe to Building Remotely updates to get:
- Alerted for new podcasts and articles
- Summaries of our best insights from remote leaders
- Book chapters as they’re released